Life can change in an instant. We can find ourselves facing hardships and challenges. In these times, folks need help and they need it from people with honor. Call us today to get a free consultation 404-793-0026 or submit a form online. All information will be kept confidential. We represent folks with real injuries and honorable companies.
We have done this in spinal cord injury cases for decades, achieving great results for all our clients.
What is a spinal cord injury?
A spinal cord is a bundle of nerves inside the vertebrae in your back. Those nerves carry signals through your body. These signals control pain, movement, and feeling. When the spinal cord is injured, these signals are disrupted.
A spinal cord injury may result from the vertebrae being fractured or dislocated. The spinal cord is impacted and the signals limited, partially or completely. A partial spinal cord injury means that nerves still send signals in this area but does not function fully. There will be some motor or sensory function below the affected area. Complete spinal cord injuries mean that all feeling and all ability to control movement is lost.
In the event of a complete spinal cord injury with paralysis, this also may be referred to as paraplegia and quadriplegia. These are obviously devastating injuries to the people enduring them
What types of accidents cause a spinal cord injury?
Spinal cord injuries can be caused by natural diseases or by trauma. The following are common causes of spinal cord injuries:
- Automobile Accidents, Truck Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents. The leading cause of spinal cord injuries in the United States are automobile accidents and motorcycle accidents.
- Falls. Over half of new spinal cord injuries each year are due to these accidents. Falls account for approximately 32% of all spinal cord injuries.
- Violence.Approximately 14% of spinal cord injuries result from violent encounters, such as gunshots. When these are due to the inadequate security of a commercial property owner, you may have the right to recover from that property owner.
- Sports/Recreation. Athletic activities cause approximately 10% of all spinal cord injuries. This includes impact sports, like football, and water activities in shallow areas.
- Alcohol. Alcohol is a factor in approximately 20% of spinal cord injuries.
- Diseases. Diseases, like cancer or diseases of the bone, may cause spinal cord injuries.
In the event the spinal cord injury was caused due to the acts or omissions of another person, there may be a viable lawsuit.
How much is a spinal cord injury lawsuit worth?
Aside from wrongful death cases, cases in which there is a permanent impairment to the motor function and feeling of the body have significant damages. An inability to use one or more of your extremities or limited ability to function can carry a significant jury verdict.
While damages are not an issue, in order to have a meritorious lawsuit, there must be liability and causation. Liability is lawyer talk for an act or omission of another person or entity which breached a standard of care. In the event of an automobile or truck accident, for example, the injured party would need to prove that the other automobile or truck violated a rule of the road before recovering. In the event of a sports injury, there would need to be an action wholly outside the scope of the sport or involving faulty equipment for a recovery.
Once liability is proven, there also must be causation.
This means that the spinal cord injury resulted from the act or omission of the other party. In this case, it means that the spinal cord injury did not result from some other, unrelated condition, like a natural disease.
A person could not recover from a spinal cord injury if, for example, it was actually the result of cancer even if a tractor-trailer accident happened near the same time.
What areas do we serve?
We are based in Atlanta, and we serve clients throughout the state of Georgia.