Alex is a first generation lawyer. Alex’s dad is a plumbing contractor in Atlanta. Working outside in the hot Georgia summers taught Alex the meaning of hard work. At our firm, we greatly admire folks who work with their hands, and we also value education for folks who are looking to branch out from their family business. That is why we have developed a scholarship for first generation law students.
If you are a first generation law student, please consider submitting an application. It has been a great joy of ours to make lives better for folks in truck accidents, wrongful death, catastrophic injury, professional malpractice, and class actions. We hope the law can help you find a rewarding career too.
Please submit an essay on one of the following topics:
- How did your family story influence your decision to go to law school?
- How have you overcome a particular challenge in your life that led you to decide to pursue a career in law?
- In what ways would a law school education change your life and, in turn, the lives of your loved ones and others around you?
WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME.
- You are either accepted to or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university within the United States.
- You have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- You must submit an official copy of your transcript, your completed application, and your essay using the online form. Essays are to be no more than 250 words.
In order to be considered for the Carr & Weatherby Scholarship for At-Risk Youth, you must write an essay on one of these topics:
How did your family story influence your decision to go to law school? How have you overcome a particular challenge in your life that led you to decide to pursue a career in law? In what ways would a law school education change your life and, in turn, the lives of your loved ones and others around you?
Terms and Conditions
1. All decisions of Weatherby Law Firm, P.C. are final. By your participation, you – and, if you are a minor, your parent or guardian agree to be bound by these Terms & Conditions.
2. Scholarship open to all students attending an accredited college or university in the United States. Applicant must be a student at an accredited college or university, or be accepted to begin school at an accredited university within 6 months of application.
3. The scholarship is limited to one (1) student per year, chosen solely at the discretion of Carr & Weatherby, LLP. The scholarship is limited to one (1) single payment of ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS AND ZERO CENTS ($1,000.00). The payment will be made via check from Carr & Weatherby, LLP to the order of accredited college or university and provided to the recipient, whose sole responsibility it is for delivery. The recipient will be required to provide proof to Weatherby Law Firm, P.C. of use of the scholarship money for payment of tuition, within 30 days of the date of receipt of the payment. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the scholarship, and the recipient will be required to return the funds to Weatherby Law Firm, P.C.
4. The student must provide proof of attendance in an accredited college or university within the United States, to the satisfaction of Weatherby Law Firm, P.C.
5. You hereby agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless Weatherby Law Firm, P.C., and their officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives, from any and all claims, liabilities, actions, causes of actions, losses, and damages of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, past, present or future, related in any way to your participation in this Application, Scholarship, or your acceptance, possession, use, misuse, or loss of the Scholarship.
6. You recognize and agree that Weatherby Law Firm, P.C. may use your essay, as well as you as your name, likeness, voice, biographical information, and statements, for advertising and promotional purposes. You hereby authorize Weatherby Law Firm, P.C. to do so. If you are selected as the recipient, you specifically agree to provide Weatherby Law Firm, P.C. with a photograph for use in advertising and promotional purposes in connection with this scholarship.
7. Governing Law. You hereby agree that this Scholarship, its terms and conditions, and any and all disputes between you and Weatherby Law Firm, P.C. and their officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives, are governed by the laws of the State of Georgia. You agree that exclusive jurisdiction over any legal action arising out of or in connection with this matter will be in state or federal courts located in Fulton County, Georgia, and by submitting an application you consent to such jurisdiction and venue.
8. Privacy Statement: We will not sell the information you submit with your scholarship application to any third parties. The information you submit will be used only for determining the scholarship recipient and deleted after the selection period. Scholarship award recipient information may be used for public relations purposes, as detailed above.
9. NON-DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT: The winner of the scholarship will be determined by a selection committee set up by Weatherby Law Firm, P.C., said selection will in no way be influenced by gender, race, national origin, sexual preference or any criteria other than the meeting of the application requirements and our committee’s evaluation of the essay attached with the application.
10. These terms and conditions contain the entire agreement between you and Weatherby Law Firm, P.C. and supersede all other understandings, whether oral or written. This agreement cannot be altered in any way, except by written agreement signed by Weatherby Law Firm, P.C.